On December 7, 2022, an extended meeting of the Technical Committee for Standardization TC 164 “Artificial Intelligence” was held at the site of the Federal Research Center “Informatics and Control” of the Russian Academy of Sciences as part of the 14th International Conference “Intellectualization of Information Processing” (IOI-2022).
The event included plenary and breakout sessions, to which representatives of relevant federal executive authorities, related technical committees for standardization, as well as industry experts were invited. Today, TC 164 unites 63 organizations. As part of its activities, 40 national standards have been developed, and now drafts of new documents are being actively prepared, including those based on international standards.
At the plenary session, the Head of the Department of Innovative Development Institutions of the Department for Strategic Development and Innovation of the Ministry of Economic Development of Russia Nikita Yakunov made a welcoming speech. Then there was a discussion of the results of the activities of TK164 in 2022 and plans for 2023, roadmaps for AI standards in healthcare and education, in road and air transport, and the Advanced Standardization Program in the priority area “Artificial Intelligence” for 2021-2024. Five papers were presented:
- Sergey Garbuk, Chairman of TK164, Director for Research Projects, National Research University Higher School of Economics
“The main results, tasks and problematic issues of the activities of TK164”
- Maria Penkova, executive secretary of TK164
“On the implementation of TK164 plans for 2022 and plans for 2023”
- Anton Vladzimirsky, Deputy Chairman of the Subcommittee PC01 “Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare”, Deputy Director for Research at the Research and Development Center for Diagnostics and Telemedicine Technologies of the Moscow Health Department
“Results of work and plans of SC01”
- Yuri Hohlov, Chairman of the subcommittee SC02 “Data”, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Institute of the Information Society
“Results of work and plans for SC02” (in Russian)
- Valentin Dzedik, head of the working group “Artificial Intelligence in Education” TK164, First Vice-Rector of Volgograd State University
“On the development of a roadmap for the standardization of artificial intelligence in the field of education”
Further, the ceremony of signing agreements on interaction with related technical committees TK267 “Road-building machines and equipment” and TK371 “Non-destructive testing” took place.
Here is the recording of the plenary session (in Russian, access code: ?ItC+4za).
At the meeting “Cross-sectoral issues of artificial intelligence”, reports were made on topical scientific problems of technology development: standards for working with data, natural language understanding, explainable AI (XAI), fundamental aspects of standardization, AI in the digital industry. After that, a panel discussion was held with representatives of the Ministry of Economic Development of Russia, the Analytical Center under the Government of the Russian Federation, the National Center for the Development of AI under the Government of the Russian Federation, the Codex consortium, the Big Data Association, Okenit JSC. The participants discussed issues of coordination in the development of national standards, expressed their recommendations for improving the effectiveness of cooperation.
The next event was the sectional scientific and methodological meeting “Cross-sectoral issues of standardization of artificial intelligence”, which was held by Subcommittee 02 “Data” (PC02) of the Technical Committee for Standardization “Artificial Intelligence” (TK164). It was held in the form of an extended meeting of SC02 / TK164 and the 14th International Conference “Intellectualization of Information Processing” (IOI-2022).
Representatives of state bodies (Ministry of Economic Development of Russia, Ministry of Digital Development of Russia, Rosstandart), industry associations (Alliance in the field of artificial intelligence, Big Data Association; ANO Digital Economy; Committee of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs on Technical Regulation, Standardization and Conformity Assessment), related technical committees, scientific and educational organizations (Lomonosov Moscow State University, Federal Research Center “Computer Science and Management” of the Russian Academy of Sciences), experts in technical regulation and standardization were invited to participate in the event.
At the meeting, scientific reports were presented on topical issues of the development and use of technologies for working with big data in artificial intelligence systems, as well as the place and role of standards in these processes.
Within the framework of the section, a panel discussion was held in full-time format with the participation of representatives of government bodies, business, industry associations and the scientific and educational community. It featured four scientific presentations:
- Konstantin Vorontsov, acting Head of the Department of Mathematical Methods of Forecasting, Faculty of Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics, Head of the Laboratory of Machine Learning and Semantic Analysis, Institute of Artificial Intelligence, Lomonosov Moscow State University
“Natural Language Understanding Challenges: Towards Standardization of Markup and Model Estimation” (in Russian)
- Mikhail Zabezhailo, Chief Researcher of the Federal Research Center for Informatics and Control of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Professor of the Moscow University of Physics and Technology
“On some fundamental aspects of standardization in the field of artificial intelligence” (in Russian)
- Alexander Raikov, Leading Researcher, Trapeznikov Institute of Control Problems of RAS, member of the Supervisory Board of the Institute of the Information Society, scientific consultant of the supercomputer center in Jinan (China)
“Explainable Artificial Intelligence: Aspects of Standardization” (in Russian)
- Sergei Golovin, Chairman of TC/MTK 022 “Information Technologies”, Chairman of the Intersectoral Council for IT Standardization of the RSPP Committee on Industrial Policy and Regulation
“Standardization, digital industry and artificial intelligence” (in Russian)
After that, a panel discussion was held, moderated by Yuri Hohlov. The following took part in the discussion:
- Svetlana Dmitrieva, Deputy Director of the Production Department, Director for SMART technologies of the Kodeks consortium
- Alexey Neiman, Executive Director of the Big Data Association.
- Pavel Elsukov, Project Manager of the Analytical Department of the National Center for the Development of Artificial Intelligence under the Government of the Russian Federation.
- Sergey Astakhov, Deputy Head of the Department for Research Centers in the Field of Artificial Intelligence, Analytical Center under the Government of the Russian Federation.
- Andrey Petrov, Leading Researcher, OKENIT JSC.
- Evgeniy Osadchuk, Deputy Director for Federal Projects, Digital Transformation of Industries, ANO Tsifrovaya ekonomika.
- Andrey Ignatiev, Head of Analytical Department, Center for Global IT Cooperation.