September 28, 2023 Plekhanov Russian University of Economics (REU) held a design and consulting seminar on the development of human resources in the field of artificial intelligence.
The event was organized by the REU Higher School of Cyber Technologies, Mathematics and Statistics and the Department of State Policy in the Sphere of Higher Education of the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia.
The seminar was opened by the Deputy Minister of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation Dmitry Afanasyev. He set priorities for improving the quality of education and increasing the volume of graduate training in the field of artificial intelligence, and set tasks for the work of the design and consulting seminar.
Nikita Yakunov, a representative of the Department of strategic development and innovation of the Russian Ministry of Economic Development, reported on the need for personnel for the mass implementation of artificial intelligence as one of the challenges of the National AI Development Strategy.
Soslan Gabuev, Deputy Director of the Department for the development of artificial intelligence and big data of the Russian Ministry of Digital Development, spoke about the impossibility of developing artificial intelligence without training specialists in the field of big data.
Yuri Hohlov, head of the department of the National Center for the Development of Artificial Intelligence under the Government of the Russian Federation, chairman of the board of directors of the Institute of the Information Society, full member of the Russian Academy of Engineering, emphasized the importance of training for the development and use of AI in the economy, social sphere and public administration.
Mikhail Skvirsky, managing director, head of the Data research center for government bodies of Sberbank PJSC, representative of the Alliance in the field of AI, presented the tasks of the updated national AI development strategy in terms of personnel training.
The discussion of new approaches to training in the field of artificial intelligence took place in the format of project work with the active participation of representatives of leading universities: Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (national research university), National Research University ITMO, Lomonosov Moscow State University, St. Petersburg State University, National Research Tomsk State University, Yeltsin Ural Federal University, Cherepovets State University, Ufa State Petroleum Technical University, Don State Technical University, Volgograd State Technical University, Ulyanovsk State Technical University, Bauman Moscow State Technical University (national research university), Southern Federal University, Petrozavodsk State University.
The seminar participants identified the main tasks of developing human resources in the field of artificial intelligence:
- Training industry specialists with artificial intelligence competencies.
- Regular updating of educational programs on artificial intelligence taking into account the speed of development of artificial intelligence technologies.
- Support measures aimed at involving company employees and leading university lecturers in the educational process.
- Improving the quality of education through regular training of lecturers and involving representatives of real sector companies in this process.
- Forming a “background” through improving the quality of teaching mathematics and computer science in schools, developing additional education for schoolchildren in the field of mathematics and computer science.
- Raising general awareness of artificial intelligence technologies.
- Creating conditions for continuous education in terms of developing competencies in the use of AI.